Monday, December 7, 2020

Frame Pressing

 

Temperature Heat Pressing 


Figure 1- Mbeje A. 2020. Geometric Butterfly. Copper and HDPE (coca-cola)

In this experimentation, I was using the temperature heat of the kiln to compress down the melted plastic with the Geometric Butterfly as a force.


Figure 2 - Mbeje A. 2020. Geometric Butterfly. Copper and HDPE (coca-cola)


When I was using the frame copper, it changes colours from being polished to tarnish, especially as a result of exposure to moisture from temperature heat of the kiln. Some parts of the Geometric Butterfly weren't balanced on top of the plastic when I was experimenting this exercise, as seen in figure 2 the left-hand side has more bubbles and right-side has less plastic due to unbalance melted surface.


Figure 3 - Mbeje A. 2020. Geometric Rat. Copper and HDPE (coca-cola)

My second attempt was achieved by my hands. I had to compress down the surface to create balance on the melted plastic with a flat steel plate then placed the Geometric Rate frame on top of plastic as seen in figure 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment